Wednesday, June 9, 2010

In the heart of Africa

My time spent in Africa thus far has been incredible! I only wish I could find the right words to describe the experiences and feelings I have here. I realized long ago that finding words to describe this place is impossible. It still amazes me how peaceful I feel here because this place is my home. What a blessing to be able to come home once again. The first two weeks here were spent with the whole team of around 26 people. It's been so much fun to share these life changing experiences with such incredible people. I have learned and grown so much from their examples to me. They left on Monday and all though the house is quite now, I still feel their spirit here with me. Communication is finally becoming easier out here and I promise to post some pictures and experiences soon. I can't wait to share a part of my experience with you. Since the team left Kelly and I have been thrown straight into the heart of Africa. We are the only white people for miles around and we can feel it! It's strange though, although I am suddenly very aware of my skin color all I can think about is how well my heart matches with those around me. I feel so blessed to interact with these people. They have become my new family. We all see the same sky and wish upon the same stars. They may not speak the same language as me or eat the same foods, but we are bonded by the love we feel here and towards each other. I am so grateful. As stated by my dear friend Sue Krupa Grey, "The sameness of the human heart is God's most beautiful artwork. What we choose to see and find in each other is usually what we become."

1 comments:

Lucy said...

caralee. i love you. thank you for being you.