Sunday, June 13, 2010

Fear is the Opposite of Faith

As this week began, so did the battle within myself. A battle against my fear and a need for faith.
The realization that as soon as the team leaves, Kelly and I
will be alone in Africa. Fear immediately struck me as I realized just how long we were going to be here and I found myself questioning what I was doing. I felt sick from the fear and couldn't imagine the long days ahead of me. I prayed constantly for the strength I would need because at the same moment I realized my fear, I also realized this trip is not about me. This is about those children around who are in need of encouragement. This about those girls with saddness and hopelessness written in their eyes. This is about those people around me who desperately need to feel loved. I knew then that I could not possibly allow my fear to get in the way of the work that needs to be done. Fear is the opposite of faith. I know this is a battle within myself that I will need to fight the whole time I'm here and that battle begins now. I am praying constantly for strength to reach outside of myself and become a tool in the Lord's hands. As I sat looking at pictures of the faces around me, this song came on and reminded me of my purpose here in Africa. I want to recite just one verse from the song Safe Harbors that really helped me to gain some faith.

Can you see through their disguises?

Can you hear what words won't tell?

Some are losing faith in heaven,

Cause their life's a living hell

Is there anyone to help those who have no where else to flee?

Or the only arms protecting them belong to you and me.

This is a call to arms to reach out and to hold

Evacuees from the dark

This is a call to arms to reach out and to hold

Evacuees from the dark

This is a call to arms to lead anguished souls

To safe harbors of the heart.

Can you feel the pleas of the refugees for safe harbors of the heart?

The words of this song hit me with such force. It helped me to find inner strength and motivation to forget myself and look at the need of those around me. I've seen the pain in their brown eyes and behind their beautiful smiles. They need me just as much as I need them. I pray I'll have the strength to reach out and hold them in my arms until they feel the love I have for them and the love Heavenly Father has for them.






"The story for their need for love is written in their eyes.."

2 comments:

Kozy said...

I love hearing about Africa! Jealous cuz I wish I could be there with you. I love you girl! You are amazing!

Astle Family said...

Hey, I love hearing about you. Miss you and wish you all the love and luck from here across the world. You are doing awesome things, and I am so proud of you.